- The parameter screen is available to initialize some basic Inno Setup variables when the script is created. Check the Inno Setup help section for more information on these parameters (Settings->Parameters).
- Search your hard disk for all .dep files. Create a folder where you will be placing all the dependent ocx/dll/exe that your app needs and copy all the .dep files to it. This folder is also where you will copy any files that you have found safe to re-distribute. You will tell InnoScript where this folder is when running in SAFE MODE by placing the path name into the Search Area box before attempting to run the conversion.
- After running InnoScript on your project for the first time, you may get a large amount of files (found or unfound), you may not need all of these files. This can be resolved mostly by following these simple steps. Look at the Debug log to see which files contain an unusual amount of dependencies. These files usually are not for re-distribution. You just add those filename to the UnSafe.fil file and the next time you run, those files will not be picked up. It is mostly files of the exe type that cause these problems such as Excel.exe or Word.exe for example. So look for exe’s first, one file can eliminate many other files and unneeded dependencies.
- Any folders that you have data to include in your installation package should be added using the Add Files or Add Folder Selection so that InnoScript can retrieve your files from those folders.
- Use the template process to change or add line in your script. This can be very helpful when you need to add code sections and other things that InnoScript does not normally do. You can also use templates to change the contents of the default lines that InnoScript places into the script, such as the Flags: parameter.
- To speed up searches InnoScript automatically places Documents and Settings folder in the Exclude Folder selection list so that InnoScript does not attempt to search that folder or any folders beneath it for files. If you have other folders that you want InnoScript never to search, add them to this list.
- Normally leave DefaultDirName blank on the parameter screen to let InnoScript fill this in for you especially for Vista installs.
If running in safe mode and you have copied the files from the system folder to another folder. Place the path of that folder into the Search Folder selection so that the files can be found there. You should also copy any .dep files for the same files there also.
The log files can be very helpful in diagnosing problems and courses of action. You should look at them whenever you have an issue to double check what you think you actually did.
Created with the Personal Edition of HelpNDoc: Free EBook and documentation generator